Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Special After the Previous Special Collector's Limited Edition Edition Version - The Must Have Bonus Release

Hi - My name is Mike and I am a DVD movie addict.

One of the more recent and undeniably grating developments in DVDdom is the ever-growing instance of "Even More Special Edition Edition" DVD sets.

It's where even though there is a current, viable, watchable edition out and probably owned by people that have DVD players, studios are now "re-releasing" the movies in "All New Must See Because Everthing Else You've Seen is Shite" edition versions of the DVD. Usually these are filled wit extras ranging from full-length commentaries, to "never-before-seen footage and everything inbetween.

There are basically two ways that I've noticed this occuring in the last several years.

- Anniversary Editions: Sadly, Anniversary Editions, in almost every case, have become yet another chance for studios to whore out their merchandise and movies. Case in point: One of my favorite, all-time lovin' it movies is Jaws, for a variety of reasons, enough so that it's probably worth an interesting blog entry on it's own. Now for those of you that "have the movie" you'll also remember that last year was the 30th Anniversary of this piece of cinematic history and while a "widescreen collector's edition" was issued only two years ago, THIS one was offered last year. The problem? It contains only ONE MORE bonus set of interviews, and an original mono track for the film. Uhh, right. The even larger problem is that there are people that will buy this edition - thankfully I have been able to not take the plunge

- Sequel Subversion: This is truly the instance to hate DVDdom. In this case I'll be using the wonder of the Xmen films. All of them have been excellent DVD's to date, garnering a variety of follows from fan-boy comic readers, to people like my stepmom who thought she'd hate it and loved it. That being said, when a new/next Xmen movie begins it's hype-journey, it's time to issue the "1.5 Edition Xmen movie" which usually contains some very significant stuff that wasn't included in the original disc. This drives me insane. Imagine if the Xmen, Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman, XXX, Punisher, Blade and every other comic-like movie decide to issue ".5" editions -- Doesn't that just suck?

I don't have a solution to this (other than to not buy) but know that you, the smart readers of the Internet will have some proposed solutions to help me out with this cellulodic sickness.

What say you!?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

These special edition dvds are definitely cool...and I do like the fact that most of the dvds are much improved visually with added features. What is definitely frustrating is having to buy the movie AGAIN...and AGAIN...(i.e Star Wars...etc...).

I usually have to sell the original on ebay and get my $7 or $8 or give that version away...but it seems like more and more movies keep releasing "special editions".

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have any words of wisdom. If you can resist the urge to buy when you can reasonably assume that the DVD will be reissued, I'd recommend taking that course. For example, I haven't purchased Star Wars Episodes I, II, or III, because I know full well a set is on the way. But, it's been difficult to resist the urge to buy these incredible films. I've been using the Force. Anywho, I think you may just be at the mercy of the industry, being an addict and all.
Christine

12:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home