Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Hate of Fine Art...

At one time, I won an award in high school to a high-end art school in the Milwaukee area. The award sadly wouldn't have even paid for a half of any of the classes, but the gesture was nice. In my last two years of high school, I was thankful that I realized that being a full-time artist was something that was in the cards, but wouldn't make me a ton of money (oh, WWW where WERE you?), but it did help me to initiate a continued hatred of "fine art." So much so that I even did my first comic book story with that as the focus called "Art Appreciate Hunt".

It it, you basically have CPTMIKE searching high and low for "works of art" or "pieces" as they're called in the biz.

That being said, I found this note that is initiating once again my desire to power up a phaser rifle:

From the Australian Times:

"Great Art!

Performance artist Tomoko Takahashi, 39, working on a British government grant of the equivalent of about $8,600, gave an exhibition of inebriation in October at the Chapter arts center in Cardiff, Wales. Dressed in business suit and high heels, Takahashi drank a large amount of beer over a three-hour period, periodically checking to see how far she could walk across a narrow beam about two feet off the floor without falling. A Chapter spokesman called the demonstration a "powerful piece of art."

This, coupled with one of my favorite stories about a local college campus that paid almost $22,000 for a 12'x12' canvas that had been walked on by four different pairs of shoes in four different colors of paint should help you understand my sincere hatred for "fine art."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like your really talking about "STUPID" art. Or I'm confused about the definition of fine art? I really appreciate what I call fine art, especially Impressionist paintings. Do you scoff at works such as these?

Art is so subjective, that I think being successful could be compared to your chances of winning the lottery. There is so much luck involved. But if you can find at least one person who appreciates your work, then I think it is worth the effort. But that's my opinion, I could be wrong.

Christine

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home