Tuesday, December 07, 2004

That's Entertainment...

As I get older and experience more in life with my family, friends and strangers, I come to have a really great appreciation for movies in general. The advent of DVDs has become the ability to "keep a library" for a guy that doesn't in general, like to read books.

My collection is mostly a compendium of passions, pleasures, guilt-ridden geekery, stuff from directors I appreciate, and discs with commentary that many are completely unaware of. It continues to grow as DVDs that I have interest and money for are acquired and has become, literally, a library of entertainment that I value greatly.

That being said, this month overall will be be offering what is easily one of the most satisfying months for a DVDphile like myself and I've broken down this month's offerings, along with a quick few thoughts about each below.

24 – SEASON THREE ---
This series, starring Kiefer Sutherland, is one of the ripe, golden treasures, that everyone should be watching. The story cris-crosses like a visual ballet during the very short 22-episode season and truly is a wild ride. The overwhelming benefit of this and the other very few shows on my network television watching list? They are completely unafraid to kill characters, regardless of their status. The first two seasons were filled with "getting to know you, 6 episode greatness" and then BAM! That character that you've really built a rapport with is suddenly gone, raising the intensity and anticipation levels infinitely. You never know who, even Kiefer Sutherland's "Jack Bower" might be next. Pick it and it's predecessors up when you get the chance.

THE BOURNE SUPREMACY ---
This is the second movie in what is a fantastic series of novels. Though they've "hollywood'd" this one up complete with Matt Damon, they have found a visual style and storytelling aptitude that not only supports the base details of the novels, but also provides an exciting ride. I have not yet seen the second one and look forward to seeing this one. I will be waiting to purchase after the third one is release and they make a multi-pack for it.

THE ULTIMATE MATRIX COLLECTION ---
>Sigh<>

COLLATERAL ---
I am a pretty avid Tom Cruise movie fan and appreciate the intensity and willingness to jump into a variety of roles that other mainstream actors wouldn't always take a stab at. This, like Bourne 2 above was one I had intended to see, however I never had the chance to. DVD will happily change all that.

I, ROBOT ---
Will Smith is one of the legends of our movie-creation time, but I am uncertain that everyone, including himself, knows it. This TOTAL RECALL-esque takeoff was a fantastic romp, and I am certain that the DVD (as are most from SONY Picturecorp) will be filled with features and goodies. Knowing the comedic genius that is Will Smith, I would anticipate a solid Gag Reel as well.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS – THE RETURN OF THE KING Special
Extended Edition ---

There are movies, and then there are movies. The same can be said for DVDs. The previous two extended editions of the first two LotR Movies are not only about great legends, but the stuff of DVD legend. The care, passion and total geek-phreak level that the creative team that made these films translates so incredibly to the DVD sets that I continually amaze myself every time I have the chance to view/listen to them. They are at the top of the DVD-feature totem pole and will be for a very long time. If you think you have a great DVD set, and it doesn't include any of these extended edition DVDs. you should be
arrested. Two words - BUY IT!

STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES – THIRD SEASON ---
I recently acquired the second season (still don't yet have the first) to help push a TREK Marathon event for a local science-fiction fan club that I am the president of. The transfer of the episodes is some of the highest quality stuff I've ever seen. You can see the textures of their clothes, their face complexions, extra make up on aliens. The sound has been remastered for the opening music and it is something to behold. Mike Okuda, uber trek geek extraordinaire, has offered text commentary for a variety (but not all :( ) provided episodes and they are very entertaining. I look forward to getting this one and the first season eventually.

TOP GUN SPECIAL EDITION ---
I doubt there is a film that I can admit to, in my collection, that makes me a perceived phreak of the 80's more than this movie. I can remember the day seeing this movie, planning to go to the recruiter's office. I remember seeing this movie more than any others until after college when STAR TREK II eclipsed all common sense. ;) The features on this disk look to be ultra cool and will shed a great deal of light on the movie that was the box office blockbuster in 1986, and a driving air-based force in my adolescence.

SIMPSONS – 5TH SEASON ---
There are few things that are more fun than the incessant onslaught of sad but true caricatures and witty writing that are featured more and more as these Simpson Season sets are released. This is right in the middle of the time that I truly was interested in the "lore" of the Simpsons, and the episodes are a piece of Americana that everyone should make a part of their lives. Those are the releases that are on their way (there are more but sleepy-time's-a-wastin'.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mike,

Good insight to some very good DVD's. I'm a huge 24 fan and have the first 2 seasons on DVD already. LOTR-ROTK and Top Gun SE are at the top of my list of movies to get this month.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home