Thursday, October 23, 2008

Anyone Else Order Fish and Broccoli?

Let me explain how ordering at restaurants goes with me. Remember that scene inside of "When Harry Met Sally" with Meg Ryan (no, not the orgasm part, the other part) where she has the worlds most peculiar order? I'm not nearly that bad, but as anyone that knows me will tell you, I am a picky eater. This is a trend that has followed me since - well, for a very long time. This last week, my wife and daughter and I went out to eat at a local IHOP (International House of Pancakes) not too far from my workplace. It's one of a series of usual stomping grounds during the week when we get out (it's usually once during the week, perhaps a lunch on the weekends depending on my wife's working schedule) and so we have a good solid listing of waitresses we ask for. This evening's romp held something peculiar - something outside the realm that I wasn't expecting - and almost fell out of the booth over.

My 5-year-old precocious princess, Jade, snatched up the custom-rolled crayon pack (this week, it was orange, blue and red - no green to be seen) and the doodle-menu that is offered up at IHOP and began looking at the offerings as she had done so many times before.

"Fish and brockooree" she said, pointing to an image I know that her father would have never pointed to - ever- in a million years - after reincarnation -- never.

My wife and I looked at each other. We looked back at Jade. We looked back at each other and simultaneously held our hands up and said in tandem "ok." And so we ordered the Junior Fish and Broccoli, hand-selected by our 5-year-old, and waited for what we knew would be a very interesting experience regardless of how it all turned out. A short few minutes later, my turkey and provelone omlette arrived. Gloria's grilled chicken salad with a side of fruit arrived and sure enough - there was one of the largest pieces of fish I've ever seen, along with an even larger, death-defyingly large helping of freshly cooked "brockooree" on a plate that rivaled mine's size.

Would the 5-year-old beauty begin to wonder what she was staring at? Would the fresh piece of cod be a speed bump in her route to mealtime satisfaction? Would she be able to stand the stench of the recently procured crunchy-goodness of her newfound broccoli long enough to get it on a fork and into her tiny but hungry gullet?

You get your ass she did. All of it - fast. I've never seen a person chow down on "brockooree" or fish so fast ever in my life.

Now this isn't any surprise for us when we thought about it, really. Jade has always been one of the most adventurous kids in regard to eating I've ever seen and surely, as soon as my Aunt Kathy reads this, she'll be sure to call me and chide me about how "see, even your 5-year-old daughter will eat stuff that "you don't like"" and y'know - she's right. In fact, she's so right that I'm going to try -- wait.

No I'm not. :) While I will be proud to trumpet my daughter's luxurious and wide-open tendency to taste new and interesting foods that hold the bounty of untold deliciousness, that doesn't mean that every one likes broccoli.

Are you kids adventurous? Do your children, even as they reach adulthood, hold onto picky food tendencies? Chime in below and let me know what your experiences are! I can't believe I'm alone out there and look forward to your input!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home