Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Genius of "Translucent" Products...

This last Saturday, I was lucky enough to attend a sneak-preview of the "FANTASTIC FOUR" movie, starring a cast of people that really pulled off their roles. It was a solid movie that adds to this season's listing of solid offerings. Look for a review of that soon.

"What the hell brought that up, Mike", you wonder?

I was just strolling through Walmart last nite waiting for the wife to get done with work and saw yet another piece of "genius" on the form of the newest "Invisible Girl" toy.

Now naturally, you think to yourself, "ah ha, a hot little plastic Jessica Alba doll for Mike" and no - that's not it. It's not only a hot little Jessica Alba doll/action figure, but she's got "28 points of articulation." (Mike drools like Homer) Oh, my, Jessica Alba and 28 points of articulation...

Not only that, but she is "translucent" meaning that she has no color at all so that you can see the plastic molding, but there is no color at all in the toy.



This reminded me of a long time ago when I was talking through a Radio Shack back in the 1980's and they had a phone, that was 'clear'. That's right, you could actually see the wires, diodes and "crap" inside the phone and I thought to myself:

"What kind of dumbass thing is that? Some guy forgets to add the color to the plastic and instead of getting bitched at, he's a revolutionary in the art of marketing and product enhancement?"



And it's true: Just this year, you've seen not only this "translucent Invisible Girl" action figure but over the years you've seen HUNDREDS of items that simply have no color in them at all. The companies that come out with products like these have to be laughing their asses off all the way to the bank.

Isn't that crazy?

Now excuse me while I go polish my "Holographic Yoda" action figure for the 3rd time today...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Excellent insight Mike!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home