Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Two Hands on Deck -
The Wilkerson Deck Gets Done

For the last several months, I have been weighing having a service come out and strip and finish our deck against doing it myself. After getting several bids (two of which were outstanding, the other was apparently for the goald-leaf deck that every homeowner wants but clearly I don't have), I decided that I would spend the money I would spend on having someone do it on acquiring the materials, tools and effort myself.

For once, I am thouroughly pleased with that decision, :)

Often times I tell other people to just "get the professionals that know what they're doing - it's so much easier and think of the time you'll save." I could totally see the benefits of having a service step in and get it done in probably less time, but there's something to be said for the personal satisfaction of completing something yourself, and honestly: most of the other "home care needs" are probably beyond me, where this one wasn't. It also allows me to acquire tools that I had not yet justified to complete the job that could be used on a variety of other things in the years to come and so: I took the plunge.

Over a series of weeks, I've acquired a Husky Power Washer (1750psi $129.00 less a Walmart Discount of 10%), aBlack & Decker Orbital Sander ($28.95 less a Walmart Discount of 10%) with some outstanding "Sandblaster" paper, two cans of MAN-O-WAR Cedar-color Deck and Fence Stain ($14.95x2 less a Walmart Discount of 10%) which is the same brand used for our fence, but a different color I think -- and a rubber malette ($1.98 less a Walmart Discount of 10%) with which to put some eeking-out planks and railings.

So for just under $180, I'm into being ready to get to work on the deck. Now to find the ULTIMATE resource: Time.

Thanks to the sultry-days of July, the Huly 4th weekend offered me a series of irritating brown-outs in our neighborhood that allowed me to get the initiative to get outside and get the deck done.

The process went really well: I believe that the previous owner actually painted the deck, because each of the nails that was holding the deck together were covered with something thicker than just a normal stain. The task was solid, but I was ready with just about everything in hand. I started sanding the deck with the sander I had at 10am on Saturday which I finished up just before 5pm. I also was able to get the power washer over every inch of the deck to get "the crap" off every single strut, brace, and railing so that the stain would take well, and last a good long time. I was also told that leaving the deck wet and sanded would let the pores of the wood breathe, so me laying off the deck until the next morning worked out perfectly.

I got up at 7am on Sunday with plans to get out at 12 to do family things and surprisingly, I finished staining at 10:30am, which also included a new two-sided lattice that I plan to use to spruce up the look of the deck in general, and to close-off an area on the north side of the deck that is currently wide open. Mission accomplished and though 10 hours of my "precious time" was taken, it is now 10 hours that I get to claim as my own when showing off my newly stained deck.

If you have the opportunity, and a deck as small as mine is (it's 12'x12.5 feet along with that new piece of lattice that adds 2x 8'x4' of work to the deck), I totally recommend giving it a shot yourself. It's something you really do get real pride from and makes for an extra special story for everyone.

Be sure to check out the pictures of the before, sanded, and after (coming soon!) pictures that are online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home