Sunday, December 19, 2004

Spring Cleaning Before Xmas...

Recently I had acquired the hot, new video game "Half Life 2" and had a devil of a time installing it. I got it just after it's release date on the 16th of November (EEK!), and have just been super-ultra busy with a variety of things - and hadn't revisited it.

I tried three shots at online tech support from the people at Vivendi software to try to get it installed: The note's I had provided went something like this:

"
"Interrupted Installation" of Half-Life 2?

I am having trouble installing Half-Life 2 and was wondering if the Community can give me some assistance.

I install the first disk, I click thru about 6 windows, and get to this window:

http://www.cptmike.com/halflife2/pr...fe-window-1.jpg

Where it will "initialize" for, on average 4-6 minutes.

I then have this error message shown to me:

http://www.cptmike.com/halflife2/pr...life-window.jpg

"Half-Life(R) 2 Setup Canceled

Half-Life(R) 2 was interrupted before your new software was fully installed. You can rerun this installation at another time to compmlete the setup of this software" and an Ok Button that closes that window.

How what do I do? Originally I thought it was just a busy authentication server as per other postings, but it smells a little left of center.

System is as shown below:

AMD 2600
128mb 9800 ATI All in Wonder Graphics Card.
1gb of RAM
Windows XP (w/o service pack 2)
No other Windows Programs ruinning
No other programs having trouble

Help?"

I got several attempts at assistance which are also posted on the Half Life 2 Support Forums.

Eventually, I've uninstalled every program on my system and still problems installing.

I reinstalled Windows XP.

Still have the problem.

Mentioned it to a friend at work who'd asked if I "had more than one CD-ROM Device in the system.

I do - a regular burner and then a dual-layer DVD burner.

I tried the second drive - it worked.

So, for Xmas, I've gotten myself a new install, and while it was a pain in the ass, it's turning out to be a good deal.

For those of you that have any kind of "interrupted error" while installing Half Life, or any other game for that matter, try "the other CD-ROM" in your system and you just may strike the gold that I did. The game is both masterfully written, and visually striking and I am happy that I was finally able to play it.

Now, if the tech support people at Vivendi, my friend at work, or anyone else could help me put a few more hours in a day. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home