Saturday, January 28, 2006

Time Marches on As Do the Myths of Challenger...



One of the most vibrant memories I have from my formative years was the "day that the shuttle exploded" 20 years ago today.

I was home from school that day with a cold and remember sitting in my parents house watching television when a news flash came onto the screen describing the events invovling the destruction of Challenger and the first review of it's destruction. The spiraling out-of-control booster rockets to this day still serve as a symbol of something gone very wrong.

I've recently read a great article online and I wanted to be sure that everyone that reads here takes a moment to read it. It dispels many common misunderstandings surrounding the last Challenger flight, and adds 2 minutes and 45 seconds to what everyone has generally thought was a 73-second flight. You will gain a great deal of discussion-altering information from it.

As always - I tip my virtual hat to the brave men and women of our Space Program. Their memories, achievements and passing fuel at least a portion of my efforts today.

7 myths about the Challenger shuttle disaster
It didn't explode, the crew didn't die instantly and it wasn't inevitable
By James Oberg
NBC News space analyst

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11031097/?GT1=7538

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mike I too saw this article and it was very informative. I have been infatuated with both the Challenger and Columbia tragedies and have read many books on both. The insight to what really went wrong and what really happend is indeed eye opening.

I remember being in 5th grade class...Reading group...when our principal came in. I don't think many of the kids in my class really understood nor cared at the moment, but I found myself thinking about it for weeks on end.

Even to this day I still can remember like it was yesterday. There is a show now on one of the science stations that tells of the Challenger tragedy and what really happened. You should check it out before they quit playing it.

The information that haunts me is the belief that the astronauts were still alive prior to impact with the water. Rumors have circulated that there are transcripts within Nasa of a couple of them talking just before the end.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home