Sunday, April 03, 2005

The Hunt of a 35 Year-Old Lifetime

Over the last week there has been a secret, covert action being planned - something that was know about by many, but something that few would discuss. Said action was initiated yesterday, April 1st, at 23:15:00 in the vicinity of 1661 Jungerman Rd - the target designation: Store #648.

While I would love to regale our entire evening and tale in the same format as above, I think it will suffice to say that my family and four buddy's who are also science fiction fans were out hunting for the ever-elusive STAR WARS Exclusive Collectible Figures last nite and into the morning of my 35th birthday.

I remember back to the days of 1977 and among other things, I vividly remember the continual adventures created with the litany of action figures that were stored in my Darth Vader Head Figure Storage Device. I still have them in fact:



It's been a very long time since I've been interested in collectibles -- While there was a time that I would have kicked over an old lady to retrieve a limited edition Captain Picard figure, those days are long gone. Eventually, things like rent, car payments and the bothersome, yet required electricity bill needed to be paid. Recently however, there was mention on a number of popular websites discussion a grand set of "exclusive action figures" that would be available only at 12:01 on April 2nd, Today, my birthday. For the first time in a long time, the flame of Figure and Collectible Hunting had been rekindled - for a couple of weeks anyway. The goal:

To collect the three pieces of merchandise shown below.


Click Here to See More About These Cool Toys...


The overall goal? To get the certification from all three to send off for the "ultimate collectible" which I believe has yet to be announced.

On to the story of last nite, and it is a whopper. At 11:15pm, we arrive at probably my most hated Walmart store, store #648.



The reason for the hate? This is the store that offered my 10-year Walmart Veteran wife a transfer (that we've been waiting for for 18+ months) if she would consider changing duties to cleaning toilets. While this is another blog discussion for later, it is the seed of my overall uninterest in shopping at this store. Nonetheless, we arrived, as had Brian, a friend of mine. Brian said that they have all the exclusive toys (for Walmart it is the box/thing shown above) in a tent outside, and that they wouldn't be selling them 8am tomorrow morning (as opposed to 12:01 as dictated by every site and flyer on the planet Earth).



So I whipped out my cell phone and called the St. Charles store (one that we shop at frequently no less) and told the lady that answered the phone who I was and that I had about a dozen friends on our way there and where we should line up for the exclusive toys that were going to be sold at 12:01am.

Note that I'm asking where we line up and not whether or not they're having the event. Super key, dudes :)

She said that there was a tent outside and that we could line up there for them. I told Brian this and I think he was somehow teleported there, because he was there in a span of all of three or so minutes. :)

After he got there he asked around and sadly: he too got the same story of "the exclusive toys will be available tomorrow morning at 8am." So I called the same lady back and asked to speak to someone in management. I confirmed with one of the nite management reps (a gentleman we'll call "Lenny" for the sake of this discussion) that the exclusive toys were to be sold at "12:01am."

My family and I arrive on scene. There is a tent outside (just like at the Hate-Mart 10 minutes away) with people standing outside waiting (my credit to those folks: it was only about 45 degrees). Several have lightsabers and my hopes begin to soar.



We head inside as per "Lenny's" instruction (exclusive items will be sold both inside and out).

While Gloria and Jade to shopping in the store for more merchandise, my friends and I make a B-Line for the toys section. I also noted there is now a "Blimpies Sub" shop inside of Walmart here: How slick is that? We arrive at the toy section. There, amongst what I will call a roped off but still very disorganized area, are about 20 people waiting for this section to buy merchandise. Now, call me crazy, but I'm certain that at least one of these people here are also interest in getting the same items we are. But guess what? They're NO WHERE TO BE SEEN. That's right - we're standing in front of rows of merchandise that anyone can buy anytime, at any store on the planet tomorrow.

So what the hell is going on here? Where is the EXCLUSIVE stuff? Why isn't it here? Where's the organization and PLANS that are so well described on the websites that told us about all of this? The answer wasn't clear but it was time to figure it all out.

We started asking the people that were working there what the story was and eventually I just asked to speak to a manager - We got a lady whom we'll call "Sarah" to come out and talk about it. I had snagged a flyer from another couple that was there that detailed everything that we had been talking about. Exclusive toys available at 12:01, etc etc. I went over the sheet with her and asked her what's up. After several minutes of dead-ending we asked if there was another step in the chain that we could go to to get more details about what was supposed to be going on. Eventually we got her to take us out to the "tent" outside to see if what we were looking for was there. It was.



Sitting gloriously inside of a bunch of "crap" was what we were looking for. The replica box of the box shown above. Somewhere someone is laughing their asses off at all the phreaks that are lined up at Walmarts across the nation to pick up their "empty promise box" but it's good to entertain - so onward. ;)

Eventually, realizing that the 30-40 people gathered inside and the 15-20 people outside were waiting for that merchandise, she told us that she'd have the palette of stuff delivered inside and the purchasing could begin.

SUCCESS!

After some shit-eating grins and humor, we arrived back at the line and began our very short 12 minute wait to come to fruition.

Five Minutes....

Three Minutes...

A Minute and a Half...

It went buy in a blur.

My friends and I were about 15th in line and when we eventually got up front who did we see?

My wife and child who had received the first box provided. Those of you that say you can't hear what other people are saying is a curse are out of your mind :)

In any case, she had one, and I got one and so we headed to the check out. When we got there I purchased my merchandise and provided my handy-dandy "I'm a husband of a Walmart Employee Card" to the cashier and suddenly "Lenny" popped up. Whispering ensued. I asked if there was a problem and if there was some need for identification verification or something and the cashier said "no." The transaction didn't go thru several times and I began to get concerned. More whispering and freakish looks. Again I asked if there was some problem and after getting a "no" again from the cashier I asked "Lenny" directly who then told me "we're used to having Walmart associates treat other associates appropriately as per the Walmart code".

Now I get the "code" crap - I've seen the specials where Walmart people treat other Walmart people like they're family, rah rah clapping "W!" (fist in the air) "A!" etc on thru the word "WALMART", but I'm just a dude there buying merchandise that happens to have a family member working there. What code am -->I<-- supposed to follow? The JEDI code? All I've done is help Walmart several at least several thousand dollars worth or product and avoid a potential geek riot and what I get from "Lenny" is "follow the code?" Please. While I don't know if it was fate, my coworkers being present or divine intervention, I let it go and left with our merchandise and my temper intact. About 15 minutes later we arrived at Toys R Us to continue our adventure.



I wish to congatulate Toys R Us on doing a fantastic job on their event. Their organization, their personnel's attitude, the quality of showcasing the product and the SMILES ON PEOPLES FACES were wonderful to see and something that Walmart (at least the St. Charles location) should get to school and learn rapidly.



Even though there were apparently there were only 5 "Ice Yodas" that were given to the first 5 people that were there, it was still a grand event and something I was very pleased to have participated in. There are apparently more to come but nothing more this morning. We collected a few baubles, smiles, friendships and eventually went home, arriving in the house just shortly before 2am.

7:45am came very early - Toan, a friend of mine had arrived at the local Target across the street from us to collect the "Lava Reflection Vade" figure and that a very limited number were going to be available. While I hadn't originally thought I'd be able to get there (had to work this morning) I stopped in there and sadly, found the empty box that the figures were recently in.

So the mission, while not nearly as fruitfil as I'd hoped, did manage to provide me with some great merchandise, a fantastic blog entry, and memories that will last not only my lifetime but my daughter's.

More "Ice Yodas" are on their way next week when the hunt will end and I will be sure to update you on it.

Kudos to Toys R Us, a sadly but expected JEER to Walmart, who continue to find new ways to make things that are supposed to be straightforward, sideways, and many thanks to all of my friends and family for participating in a great and decidedly Jedi experience.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mike...that night was indeed a blast. Even though we may have ended up on the short stick on the Yoda...and the fact that all of these figures are now offered online (what a croc)...It's still will be a night I will remember years from now. It's a great prelude to what is to come with Episode III finally comes out...

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home