Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Two Rare Diamonds in the Rough...

Any of you that know me, know of my love of human spaceflight, space, and all things astronaut. Late last month, I had the opportunity to organize my garage and the DVD that got put into the portable DVD player, was the series of discs from HBO, "From the Earth to the Moon," a series that debuted more than 10 years ago, but is simply one of the best series ever provided in the medium.

While the "journey" and "race" to space surely contains enough excitement and adventure for me to listen to while working hard, I have to tell you, the music and score from that series are PURE GENIUS. The score (the music that drives the series, not the hits from that period that are also included) is one that makes the mind soar with positive thought, smiles and provides me with zeal to "accomplish" things. Sadly, the score itself had never been released on DVD, and only the lead intro track and the credits track were included on the "official" soundtrack available to the public.

"Who CARES what you think of music, Mike? What is this posting about?" you're all asking yourselves...

Recently while surfing again to see if there had been an update in regard to the score, I happened upon a website of one of the many composers that put together that score, and BEHOLD!

There were two links to tracks to two of the great pieces of score music from The Earth to the Moon!

One is from the classic episode, "SPIDER" which chronicles the contemplation and successful construction of the many in carnations of the "Lunar Excursion Module", the LEM. It is the one thing I think of when partaking a new project and exemplifies the meaning of the word teamwork. The track OOZES accomplishment, pride, and reflection on one's past. Magical.

The second is from the episode "Is That All There Is" chronicling the trip of the late, one and only Pete Conrad, Al Bean and Dick Gordon's to the Moon during the Apollo 12 mission. The episode is dripping with the same "infectious sense of humor and grin" that Pete Conrad was very well-known for, and this track provides you with a big toothy-yet-gap-showcased grin - just like Pete had. :)

I sent a thank you that I've saved below to The Mason Daring Website owners where I found these tracks, in hopes that it arrives to someone that can help me secure not only these tiny two pieces of priceless audio, but the entire score that accompanied one of the best mini-series in television history.

Enjoy the music, this short letter, and tell me what YOU think of them, the feelings that they provide to you, and your thoughts about when we're going to make the epic Journey again, From the Earth to The Moon...

Titled: Somewhat As a Voice in the Wilderness...

Hello from the Midwest!

My name is Mike Wilkerson and I am contacting you in regard to something very dear that I just found my way to.

I was very pleased to find the two grand tracks from the HBO series, "From the Earth to the Moon" - a series that I watch/listen to at least every couple of weeks when I'm reaching back into my pouch for more creative and confident juices with which to finish an every increasing stack of projects.

Is there any chance at all that we can latch onto more of the great music that was showcased inside of the "background" of From the Earth to the Moon?

I hate to think that the only way I can listen to it is by putting this great series in my DVD player and I would love to be able to share your and the other musician's talents with my young daughter whom I have always dreamed of seeing in Astronaut gear.

Again, my thanks for a boost of creative spirit once again.

Miles and Miles and Miles...

Mike Wilkerson
Father/Graphic Designer/Talk Show Host
The 2GuysTalking Podcast
The 2GuysTalking Podcast Network
http://www.2GuysTalking.Com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home