Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Sopranos: Walnuts & Donuts & Dead Writers - Oh My!

Sopranos: The Reviews Continue!
Episode Review - Final Season, Episode 5 of The Sopranos by Mike Wilkerson - 2GuysTalking.Com
A 2GuysTalking TelevisionReviewBlog.Com Review:

Ah, another Sunday and it's time for the Sopranos!! The rest that follows is a listing of random thoughts as they arrive inside my head and are then placed in to the categories provided below. Please feel free to chime in on any of them and again, remember that you can refresh your browser window at any time to see the updates as they go by this evening!

Bada-Bing! What It's Done Right:

-- Ahh, The Feds: Tony decides to turn in the "Arabians" who used to be in Bada Bing and they've "disappeared" and have now been seen witht he "whole Fundamental bit." Another episode where Tony leads with this "heart" - any idea what he might be doing this week? Any chance that they'll play a terror card this season? Giggle.

-- AJ's Profile: Is it just me or is AJ very handsome and can really have a dandy acting career? Will there be life after being whiny unsuccessful AJ? I can't wait to see him spread his wings when the show is done. Thoughts anyone?

-- Tag-team Parenting: I dated a girl in high school that had parents that would "tag team" parents not too unlike what Carm and Tony do in this episode, the only difference is that they weren't the mafia being portrayed on a television show. Did any of you ever have this experience?

-- Meadow Caring: I've been trying to figure out Meadow for the years I've been watching this program and I am still wondering. Is she going to college? Is she living at home and going to school and going to college? Is she just "living at home?" What in the hell is she doing? It's great that she's around to witness AJ's continual descent into lower mediocrity, but just what is her story?

-- It's A Jerk Off: Ahh, Counseling: While I've never been in it "for me" I have interpreted untold numbers of counseling sessions, and only a very few times have I ever felt that the Dr.s were providing what was a "jerk off" level of service. It's funny as the session goes along, Tony suddenly understands the value of the seat that he's sitting in while he's blaming the kind doctor as he dialogs about his "gift" to his son.

-- Swearing in an AA Session: Again, haven't ever nor will ever be in one "for me" but have interpreted tons lots of AA meetings. The swearing part was discouraged in most of them but Chrissy here lights the night fantastic with all kinds of colorful language. Interesting.

-- Chrissy Spilling the Beans: "She was out of my life!" Chrissy is using his fellow AA-goer to cry on his shoulder and boy: It smells all kinda' wrong. Is he a Fed, cop, trouble-maker?

-- "Ahh, welcome to my office, here's your RX." Oh, yet another doctor that listens for all of 7 minutes, and then instantly heads for the RX pad. Unbelievable. See more below where we talk about Tony's encouragement to go "drink and get laid" and the new prescription.

-- Walnuts & Donuts: Oh, my: Being the keeper of the cost of landscaping and saving money to get some rather significant things done, this piece inside this episode is the stuff of nightmares. When I saw Paulie Walnuts car bounding into the lawn, I really did think there would be a "family" death in the near future. But - I'll tell you: I'd have liked to have been the stunt driver for this day. There were many people when I was a kid that could have used a good driving-through in something other than a bicycle. :) I was also amazed at the stark reconciliation when Chrissy goes to Paulie at the party.

-- The Stones and Your Family Name: This isn't the first time that "friends" have used AJ's "name" to put the pressure on loser's stones. I am certain it won't be the last. The acid incident actually reminds me of something I read in a newspaper years ago - it might have even been something mafia related, do you remember reading something like that several years ago? It's strange: I'm trying to imagine a parent that "pays that kind of money" to send someone to a college that high up not care about how the "acid ate away the flesh from my son's foot."

-- Alcohol and Prescription Drugs: Granted, neither of them are model parents, but both Carm and Tony are sadly and ridiculously familiar with what happens when you mix alcohol (especially hard alcohol) and prescription drugs. Tony's thinking that booze is somehow a good thing at all for someone that might/is suicidal is idiot level logic. How sad would it be if he eventually has a hand in his own son's death?

-- The Slo-Mo Laugh; Never a Good Thing: Regardless of whether it's a comedy, a romantic-drama, or even one of the best shows HBO has had on television for 8 years, the "slo-mo laugh" is the bellwether of doom, folks. When I saw it here in the bar after Chrissy is trying to convey his feelings for his family and the pride and joy they give him after the joke-grenades start getting thrown - I thought surely that he'd be drawing down.

-- Daly Work: Ahhhh, finally the murder de jour. I would have never thought that I would see Tim Daly die in this show - honestly. I also would have never expected Chrissy to be the one to shoot him either. This scene is something I would show to someone to help convey why the show is and has been a hit - it is electrifying, uncomfortable, but the inevitable path of abuse that so many fail to understand, when it's intertwined with the mob and the atmosphere it creates. That Chris can still even in a drunken stupor go into undetectable mode when leaving the crime scene by putting a cuff over his hand to close the door is one of those hidden nods to the complexity of the character, and the "default killer nature" that dwells within him.

-- Nothing a Murder and a Tree-straightening Can't Fix: The "mob movie flavor" of this evening's closing sequence is the stuff of legend. These little scenarios when you see someone complete a heinous act, then go literally back to "their life" and begin to re-interact with the "normalcy" of what their "other time" consists of - I LOVE it. They've finally begun to return Chris to where I can remember legendary Sopranos episodes being generated. Will they leave him here? Will they try to insert the net of potential sobriety in the 4 remaining episodes? That's again a great question that weaves a new patch into the quilt of The Sopranos.

What's Been Whacked/Sleeps with the Fishes:

-- Oh the Humanity of 4 Episodes: Can you believe that there are only 4 episodes left this season and in the series? I was trying to explain to someone recently how I don't see how on Earth "24" can provide us with something worthwhile after a very mediocre season, and they even have more seasons coming. So imagine my fright when I wonder: Wow - how are they going to wrap this up and keep it completely entertaining for 4 episodes as they finish out the series?

'Da Rest of 'Da Story: (8/10 upside-down guns) This was an outstanding episode of The Sopranos, providing me with meat portion of my weekly meal as they roll Chrissy back into a role that we're very familiar with, and rounds out my plate of usual mob-related activity. It also leaves me eager to see what's going to happen with the rest of this last season with a preview that could teach a lot of other shows how to make a preview. Just enough to tantalize, but NOTHING to ruin, suck the surprise from, or bold, unabashed spoilers! Bravo!

What do YOU think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home