Saturday, April 14, 2007

Tiny Obit... In the Wine...

I can remember vividly looking at Don Ho's IMDB entry last year when I was looking for a .wav file of "TINY BUBBLES" for our 2GuysTalking: 24 Podcast's "24 in 60+!" where I review the episode each week in 60 seconds+. I remember at that time seeing that he was STILL ALIVE and 76 years old which made me think back to the first and second time I'd seen him. The first was in the TV advertisement for his "greatest hits" when I was a kid living in Schaumburg, IL. watching the "Son of Svengoolie" Horror Show in the late evening on Channel 32, WFLDtv. It would rifle though his greatest hits, showcasing the time and ageless lyrical goodness of Don Ho. The SECOND time I remember seeing him was in The Brady Bunch - thaaaaat's right - when they go to Hawaii and acquire the cursed Tiki idol (and the ORIGINAL syndicated viewing, none of that revisit crap in 2005!)! Yeah! Man, those were the days and nights of summer when there were far fewer things to care about, and even more to make fun of.

When I read his obituary this evening while waiting for some noodles to boil, I thought to myself, "Damn, that's gotta' be the smallest obituary every conceived." Still haven't seen it? Let me share it with you:

"Singer Don Ho dies at 76

By JAYMES SONG Associated Press Writer

HONOLULU — Legendary crooner Don Ho, known for his catchy signature tune "Tiny Bubbles," has died, his publicist said Saturday. He was 76."

This is the epic review of a man who's career has spanned most of not only my life but my parents lives? Zowie! A way too "Tiny Obit" for a man that's left such a bare footprint on the world of vacation-goers in probably every country on the planet.

What are your thoughts? Too tiny? Does the man deserve something more grand? Let me know what YOU think now by clicking below to leave your comments!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Don Ho many years ago when I was living in Hawaii. I had free tickets or would not have gone to his show. He could not finish one song, he was so spaced out on booze or drugs or both... a poor performance to say the least. He did, however, have a pretty good voice and put Hawaii on the map.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home