Saturday, December 23, 2006

The JOY of the Blog...

I have to tell you how much I continue to enjoy "TIME" magazine's choice this year for "Person of the Year" as You (the electronic public, basically) and this most recent participatory sample was a perfect showcase for what I'm talking about.

A fitness writer locally for the Post Dispatch wrote about her husband (this dude I kinda' know from work) providing what amounts to Dietary Landmines when he returns from trips out and about. This post from her blog is included below, as are links to her post for you to chime in as well.

It is a great sample of how great it is to be able to exercise your mind as you write creatively and I hope you enjoy it!

"Sabotage
By Amy Bertrand
12/21/2006 4:46 pm

Doesn’t it seem like everyone is trying to sabotage our diets this time of year? If it’s not the delectable samples at the grocery store, it’s the tins of goodies given as gifts. If it’s not the cookies we have to bake for school, it’s the grand Christmas dinner coming in just a few days. It seems sabotage is everywhere, and my husband is the biggest culprit of all.

He’s one of those tall, thin people who doesn’t have to exercise (though he should for his health) and never watches what he eats. So I try to never send him to the grocery store. He comes back with cookies, cake mixes, Krispy Kreme donuts. Lately it seems that every night after dinner he has to get something sweet.

It’s tough trying to stay away from sugar when it’s all around you. I think I’ll try to convince him he needs to diet (maybe I’ll shrink his pants!) so it will be easier on me. Two summers ago we dieted together for a couple of weeks, and it was so easy. I think I need that again.

Oh, and a quick update. I weighed in today: one more pound lost! Only 14 to go!

This entry was posted on Thursday, December 21st, 2006 at 4:46 pm and is filed under Fit Mama. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.


Response from Mike Wilkerson - 2GuysTalking:
I don’t know your husband real well koff! but I can totally relate with you about the “sabotage”, especially at the workplace. If it’s not the crap that’s in the vending machines (do we REALLY need 9 choices of Hostess Snack Cakes, only 2 whole grain and one sugar-free choice???), it’s the mountain/gauntlet of stuff that people have stacked in their cubes when you walk by/visit during break - or my absolute favorite to hate:

"the stuff “left on the cafeteria tables that people don’t want.” "

Note to Readers: Things left on the tables can and have ranged from:

– an ENTIRE UNOPENED GAGA-bag of chocolate M&Ms (I kid you not - who would leave these kinds of things out?) - you know the one you can actualy put small children into.

– Leftover Krispy Kreme Donuts that have “are they still fresh” fingerprint-impression/dents on the tops and sides of them - Eek!

– “Flaxx Cookies” The only word I can think of that describes the taste of these items is like the begining of your common vomit sequence. Kind of dry but wet because your stomach contents are in general, “wet”. While they are supposed to be good for you, it is clear to me that the tuffet Miss Muffet would sit on tastes very much like these little tidbits.

– “Fresh” Fruit: A sadly more common leftout on the tables is the “fruit people being from home” that - folks, is like bait for fruit flies, health inspectors, and of course, the kids from Ethiopia with flies on their eyeball. This has ranged from banana’s that people wouldn’t even contemplate touching much less making banana bread with, to mounds of plastic-bag encased tomatoes that people “don’t want to have go to waste” to which I usually say “it’s not going to waste - if you’d leave them at home outside they would feed millions of beneficial insects and help to save ‘da Earf’ from those that would harm it.”

– Noname Brand Candy: I can’t recall some of the things that have been left out, but you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about here. My horrific memories for this in general hover around Halloween time, where the people that bought “the crappy, unwanted, kids turn and walk away disgusted” candy (yes, those GODDAM peanut butter in wax paper things - YES!), those little candy covered chocolate balls that have no general writing on the clear plastic package and taste “almost” like chocolate, and of course, the butterum rounds that were originally designed to be shot from some kind of military pressure gun to fell enemy combatants before they issued plastic bullets. Don’t be deceived, they are made from the same basic constituents that comprise the hard rubber extract for tires used for humvees in the Gulf.

– Leftover Sandwiches: Umm, does anyone think that anyone is actually going to pick up, unwrap, review, and then take back to their cube, the just less than half of your submarine sandwich that you’ve wrapped up and left out in clear view? Please.

– Almond Bark: That’s right. While you and I know that the educated public knows what Almond Bark is, this one through me for a loop. Out on a table during the first week of December was - you guessed it - 2 giant blocks of raw, ready to cook white and chocolate almond bark. No package, no wrap, no nothing. The only thing more horrifying than these two giant chunks of almond bark being displayed by someone? That’s right - I cannot fool you. That they were GONE when I returned before lunch.

Amy, I feel your pain, and it is NOT easy, agreed.

-----------

Check it out online and chime in for yourself! Don't forget to leave comments here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home