Monday, July 31, 2006

Ahh, a Dip in the Ocean... PERHAPS NOT!

I have been swimming in the ocean a handful of times, in visits to Florida with my wife prior to my daughter being born. It was during a fantastic and very memorable time to a place I still hold dear to this day: The Inn at Cocoa Beach which is just a stone's throw from another place that is magical for me - no, not Disney Land -- Cape Canaveral. My wife and I have at a couple of times in the last 10 years, considered moving closer to those places if not in them because they just hold so much satisfaction for us. The people, the surroundings, the "stuff" that is available to see within an hours drive - amazing.

Sadly, the cost of living and job availability in general there has quashed those interests during that same period of time - but the fact remains - those places are STILL special, as is the ocean and all it's mysteries.

Speaking of mysteries, I saw an article this evening that I thought would interest most. The single most eye-widening phrase in the article?

"SWIMMERS taking a single mouthful of seawater could be swallowing as many as 1,000 kinds of bacteria, according to new research."

Now, granted, if you didn't already know it, your stomach, in fact your entire body, is FULL of bacteria, both good and bad. Everyone's hope is to keep those good and bad bacteria in balance, but who knows, right? What do you think about swimming in what is literally (and remember, always HAS BEEN) a giant puddle of bacteria?

I'll bet this little article will make your next dip in the Earth's oceans a bit more entertaining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home