Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Peetah... A Legend is Gone...

One of the many influencial men in my life was a gentleman named Mr. Phil Kuehn - not only my History Teacher in high school, but one of the best Wrestling Coaches ever to grace the sport. He taught me much of what I know about myself, and eventually, taught me things that I've never really understood until recently. While I could spout off a bunch of great quotes from him, the thing that I have always remembered the most was his ability to get people's attention. Mr. Kuehn would get a discussion going - trying to get input from students. The conversations were for those of us who gave a shi* in general about school and -- he always understood that.

But you could always see him scanning the room as people took turns providing input to his questions about current events whatnot - the bullet-tipped eyes behind the square rimless glasses would pop from student, to student, to student - row by row, from seat to seat.

You would also see his hands begin to emerge from behind a short 12-inch custom-built podium that he had on the table at the front of the room from which he would launch his thought-provoking questions - every so slowly his hands would climb to the top edge of the oak podium until his hands cradled the edges and then --

WHAM!

Down the podium would come, rocketing all of those who were unfortunate enough to be drifting to sleep (and many of us who were wide-awake) from their seats - Now, completely alert, yet surely in need of a change of wardrobe, the students with wide eyes would get a quick "and what do you think of that, Mr./Ms. insert sleeping student's last name??" Surely in today's society, there would sadly be a lawsuit waiting for Phil Kuehn - ahh the somplicity of things gone by.

This was, as you can imagine, worth every minute that I spent in Mr. Kuehn's room and helps me to remember that while not everyone can provide a worthy discussion, it only takes a second to remember why you SHOULD be paying attention when you aren't.

Later, after I graduated, I visited back to Brookfield Central many times. One year, I had called to talk to him one year and got a different teacher at his extension - sadly, Mr. Kuehn had died that very same year, from pancreatic cancer. Even more distressing, the cancer had taken his life in 4 short months.

Suddenly a podium landed - and I'd always wondered if it would ever be heard again.

"What the hell is your point, Mike?" you might be asking.

Recently, another very influencial man died. One with whom I would spend almost every weekday nite with when I was home after school in the 80's. My stepmom MaryAnn called him "Peetah" and he was the sincere voice of something that people called "journalism" way back in 1983. The times of rushing to the couch to watch the most recent happenings "in the world" were the times when she said it was "time for Peetah..."

We found out this morning, August 8th, 2005, that Peter Jennings died yesterday evening and the sad irony in his death, that made me remember Mr. Keuhn so vividly was the fact that Peter announced to the public that he had lung cancer in April - a short 4 months ago.

Suddenly, another like podium lands.

I remember seeing Peter's goodbye on television in the late days of April, and I am grateful that I had the opportunity to see him before he died.

For those of you that have yet to make the choice of quitting smoking, or like habits, please take a moment to remember Mr. Kuehn's story, as well as Peter's (who was a lifelong smoker) and consider whether you will be dropping a podium for the last time, or being around to hear someone else's fall.

Rest in peace, Peetah Jennings, you will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home