Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Blow by Blow Review: "24" April 18th, 2005

I am trying to remember the last time that I was so engrossed in an hour of television a week and I think I have to compare this season to not only the pace, but the same if not more intense anticipation level of the first season of "24" which really did change the way I and people in general were able to watch modern-day episodic television.

A long time ago in a movie house far away, "serials" were the advent of genius and made people want to "come back next time and see how our hero gets out of this one" and that tradition has spilled boldly into this series and folks: If you are not watching you are truly missing out on something monumental.

That being said, let's get on to this weeks:

Blow by Blow Review: "24" April 18th, 2005

-- Buchanan Wants to Be Able to Briefly Explain the Theft of One of the Nation's Stealth Aircraft: Frankly that's a simple one, folks: Security breakdowns and the determination of a group of individuals interested in making sure that they get their way. Sure, you've got details like the fake uniform, a lack of scrutiny at the security checkpoint, the murdered people in Anderson's path, but terrorism is terrorism - plain and simple. There is a goal, and once the tone is set there is little deviation. While we can rest assured that Madwan's journey so far has had many fortunate turns and happenstances, the fact is clear: Homeland Security is a vital part of today's America and why we all have to do our part to stay alert and allow the professionals to get the job done.

-- Chloe Wants to Tie into the Data Directly? This is something of a mystery: would all of the houses of the US Government really open their doors in light of a potential nuclear attack on US soil? Sadly, I believe that we here in real life land will find out eventually - I truly hope that the agencies that claim to protect us and the nation's best interest understand that there needs to be one board in the game against Terrorism especially when nuclear threats are involved.

"It'll Take an hour to Account for All Shipments in Transit:" There's something particularly wrong with this statement - if we can announce a national air raid in a matter of minutes, why is it that it will take an hour to account for all of the nuclear warhead shipment convoys? Radio contacts? Cell links? I wish they'd have mentioned more about the details of what one of these convoys consists of. While I understand the importance of national security, my guess is that the convoys ARE small, and just as innocuous as any 4-5 military vehilces I've seen on our interstates during my life.

-- Mike Wants the President to Go to the White House? While I surely don't share the feelings of our in-boots-shaking "24" Commander in Chief, I do believe that the best and safest place for the President is "in the bunker" until Madwan is taken into custody or killed. I am curious as to why Mike thinks he's alright to go "up top."

-- CTU Operatives Uniform Selection: Your team has just been selected to take in one of the few terrorists that you have a lead on in the midst of what is a robust attack on the United States. The setting: A boat at a marina, poorly lit, one lone rent-a-cop on duty, and one known associate in the area. Your choice of clothing? Hotsy gear for clubbing on the town. ? What happened here? How about ONE bulletproof vest here? Some night vision gear? Anything remotely "official" looking? From my viewpoint they could have been criminals enroute to take out another fellow felon that done them wrong.

-- My Heart Soars! "Be right back" from Jack: I knew that this was one of the things that I LOVE to hear in this show: the reason? This is one of the hallmark "the gloves are about to come off" phrases that makes this show ripe with excitement and anticipation.

-- Captioning Says "What's the Code?" As Jack enters the holding room, he simply enters in a code and "boop!" the door opens. After all the "incidents" with Jack in the holding rooms, wouldn't he NEVER be allowed free and clear access to the doors? Strangely: The captioning for this segment says "What's the code" the instant that Jack enters the foyer to the holding room. Innnnteresting.

-- Accept My Resignation? Command Post to Heart: Soar once more! Yet another signature phrase telling us that yes - it's true - the shitstorm is truly about to begin and Jack is the RAINMAN!

With newfound information, a new set of fugly bad guys, a devestated convoy and a former CTU agent without reins, we vault into the next hour of "24!" Look for more next week!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Mike thanks again for the 24 review this week. I don't know if this is just me or what...but I've found that I am trying to find ways to debunk certain events/things during the show as I'm watching it...as opposed to just sitting back and enjoying. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE 24...but, I can't help picking apart the "everything is 5-15 minutes from everything" and some of the technical "well that doesn't make any real world sense" issues.

One other thing from the last episode...how did the "bad guys" just so happen to have enough manpower in the area to take out the nuclear weapon convey that was north of our beloved St. Louis area. These guys had no idea an hour ago where any of this stuff was...then they find the holy grail of maps...and poof...they have guys there to knock it out...I dunno.

But as much as I bitch and complain...I still really enjoy the show and the season...I can't wait for Palmer to come back...

12:01 AM  
Blogger Mike Wilkerson - 2GuysTalking said...

I too hope that everyone understands that my "nitpicking" only shows some critical thought processes at work, rather than bashing the show. I remember putting remarks like that in a previous post. Thinking back on things like that, the "Nitpicker's Guide to STAR TREK ___insert title of show or movie__" are STELLAR books and really show the love of the show, the characters and the ability for people to network and enjoy the series. My Blow by Blows of "24" are in the same spirit totally.

To address your comments regarding the "bad guys being in place for the nuke convoy takedown:" The way I figure it is that Marwan is that "advanced" to have people all over the map, who all knew that eventually the day would come when they would "do this". With that in play, they would be ready to go at a moment's notice. We know that this was all part of the "plan" so why wouldn't those who would be charged with helping to Jihad not know at least their piece? A little bit of a stretch, but it makes it work.

I too am anxious to see what happens with Palmer: Please oh please let him give the new President a friggin' SPINE!

Thanks for your comments!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home