Monday, December 29, 2008

The Splendor of a Great Omlette...

Mondays during the holidays are terribly strange for me. This one was no exception. As we approach the end of what has been an outstanding 2008 not only personally for me and The 2GuysTalking Podcast Network, but for me as a web and graphic designer at my 9-5er. This morning I had an appointment in downtown St. Louis that coincided perfectly with what was dropping my Father, Bonus Mom and Stepbrother off at the new St. Louis Train Station downtown and an opportunity to take advantage of what doesn't often fall onto the Wilkerson plate: free time.

After dropping my family off, I arrived at my destination almost 2 whole hours early and headed for the establishment's Cafeteria to find some grub before diving in today and - boy did I find the grub. Breakfast has always been my most favorite meal and while I don't eat it often there are opportunities that arise that require me to imbibe in what is often the most satisfying meal I'll have in any given day.

It's hard to explain the distinction and general satisfaction factor of an omlette but I'm going to give it a shot.

There are few things that seem as though they would be so "easy" that can often go so awry. In my life I've had the opportunity to have what I've considered to be great omlettes, and then the unfortunate happenstance where - boy - how do you screw up an omlette? Sadly, it's all too possible though this morning was on the decidedly positive side of the spectrum.

This morning a great lady named "Deb" grinned at me and took my order for what was easily one of the most inexpensive yet satisfying eating experiences ever. For a grand total of $3.59, I was able to enjoy what was the best sausage, bacon and mozzarella omlette I've had this year. While omlettes can vary depending on the chef, in general you have several layers of wonderfully cooked egg, the ingredients that should always be fresh, and it's GOT to be served HOT - and boy was it.

Whether an omlette is cooked like my wife makes them (more along the lines of deliciously-shaped scrambled eggs with stuff in it), or like "Deb" was able to make for me this morning, there is something serene and intensely satisfying about an omlette. This one featured almost-crepe-like, rolled layers around some of the best, freshest bacon I've ever had, with just a kick of round semi-spicy breakfast sausage rolled in highlighted with a whisp of some very creamy mozzarella cheese. The smell of what was inside of my non-descript white foam box was intoxicating. Couldn't Burger King have come up with THIS scent rather than the "Broiled Hamburger" scent offered recently?

In any case, color me culinarily-satisfied on this very early, Monday pre-meeting Monday as we end the year that was 2008. I look forward to your comments and hope that if YOU TOO are an omlette mystic, you'll chime in and let me know what YOU think!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home